Millennials (also known as Generation Y, Generation Me and The Boomerang Generation) are the most discussed and researched generation today. Gen-Yers were born approximately between 1980 and 2000 and raised in a world dominated by digital technology.
Many psychologists agree that technology has played a key role in shaping the social and cultural identities of this group of digital natives. That’s why Millennials have developed some specific personality traits that make them unique and different from their predecessors.
So let’s have a look at some of the most remarkable characteristics that seem to define this generation in particular.
Picture created by Macrovector. Freepik.com.
1) Millennials are tech-savvy. They are proficient in the use of cutting-edge technology and have the ability to adapt quickly to a world that is constantly undergoing rapid technological change.
2) Millennials are practical. They think technological devices have made their lives easier by allowing them to use their time more efficiently.
3) Millennials are open-minded. They support equal rights movements and have the tendency to be tolerant of different points of views. Moreover, they are receptive to new ideas and experiences.
4) Millennials are creative. They feel comfortable working in innovative environments and enjoy coming up with original solutions to problems.
5) Millennials are social media mavericks. They are experts in using social media networks. For them, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube (to mention but a few) are not mere instrumental tools but powerful means of self-expression and communication.
Picture created by Freepik. Freepik.com.
6) Millennials are multitaskers. They can engage in more than one activity at the same time and face many responsibilities at once.
7) Millennial have shortened attention spans. Although they can perform many tasks simultaneously, they might get easily distracted by the technological gadgets around them.
8) Millennials are job-hoppers. They don’t feel at ease working in 9-to-5 jobs for a long time. They are willing to try out new modes of work and are not afraid of jumping from one job to another.
9) Millennial are technophiles. They have embraced technology like no other generation before them. They use technological devices not only for fun and entertainment, but also for education and research.
10) Millennials are optimistic. They have a hopeful outlook on their lives and the future. They believe that in a more dynamic and complex world, technology will help people from different cultures come closer together.
EDUCATION FOR MILLENNIALS
Video by Dre Films. Creative Commons License.
Related posts and exercises ➡ George Lucas’ Edutopia (post), Gamifying Education (post), Are you ready to go Edupunk? (post), The Digital Generation (post), Open Educational Resources (post), Start Blogging Today! (post), Blawgs, Klogs and Blikis (exercise), Ten Techie Terms (exercise), We’re on the same wavelength! (exercise).
Practical guide for blog interaction ➡ Articles, exercises and related posts.